Monday, January 25, 2010

Sunday Salon: Rambutan, Tea and Books


I know it's Monday but Sunday got away from me. Our 98 year old Auntie was released from the hospital six days ago and life is hectic. I'm thinking there must be a good book on care giving that I should read. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Rambutans are back in season on Kauai. This is one of my favorite winter fruits. Driving home from church I saw that Judy had opened her rambutan stand for the first time this year. I stopped and loaded up a bag for ten dollars.

Tea brings book lovers closer. This past week a book friend from Colorado was on Kauai. I invited her to my home for Afternoon Tea. We've never met before but have been participating in Paperback Swap's monthly tea exchange for the past three years. I think my homemade scones were a hit. If anyone wants the recipe just let me know.

Books In Progress. I finally finished Dragon House and will have a review up this week. Once it's published I won't be getting any more gentle reminders from Library Thing Early Reviews. Oh, to be guilt free.

Walking the Gobi by Helen Thayer is my current book. We're discussing it this Thursday at the Lihue Library. The book arrived Saturday and I'm really, really into it. Helen writes about her 81 day, 1,600 mile trek across Mongolia's Gobi Desert. I feel like I'm walking with her without dealing with the heat, sand in my face and smell of the camels.

I'm going to be on national radio this week! As I've mentioned before, I'm a travel writer specializing in Hawaii. Arthur and Pauline Frommer called today and want to interview us on their national radio show. We're taping this Thursday. I'll let you know when it airs.

Wishing you Aloha and a good book week.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen or heard of rambutans - they are certainly vibrant! What do they taste like?

    Glad to hear your afternoon tea went well. Did you have clotted cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesley! Instead of clotted cream we made our own creme fraiche. It's hard to find clotted cream on Kauai. A local store was selling it for around $10 but had it on the shelf instead of refrigerated. Yikes!

    Rambutans look interesting and remind me of the gummy jujubes. You can click the photo to see them in detail. After scoring around the circumference you remove the top half to reveal the off-white fruit. Just squeeze the lower half and the fruit pops in your mouth. There's a seed inside so be careful.

    Aloha,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Aloha! Thanks for taking time to talk story. Your comment will be posted soon.

Ho'ola'i na manu i ke aheahe

"The birds poise quietly in the gentle breeze."
Said of those who are at peace with the world, undisturbed and contented.