Monday, February 8, 2010

Remembering A Secret Garden and Mom

What book did your mom or dad pass on to you that had been their favorite as a child?

In my case it was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. When I was a boy in the 1960's (doesn't that sound ancient?) my mom would read this book to me. It had been given to her by a teacher when she had polio as a young girl.

With my eyes closed I can conjure up images in my mind of the book's green binding and faded cover picture. It always seemed magical when Mom read it to me. I loved the idea of a hidden garden tucked away on a large estate in England. It was both Mom and The Secret Garden that instilled in me a love of books.

My Mom passed away in March of last year. When I was going through her belongings I couldn't find her copy of The Secret Garden. Wherever it is, I hope it's being treasured.

To remember Mom I'm planning to read The Secret Garden in March and post a review in her honor.

All of these memories came back to me recently when I left a comment on Page Turners hosted by Becky in Sydney, Australia. I saw that she had been a fan of The Secret Garden too. Becky was kind enough to give me her Blogger Buddie award for being her top weekly commenter. I hope you'll go "Down Under" and visit Becky's site. It's become one of my favorite daily stops.

If you're a fan of The Secret Garden or have a memory to share about a childhood book, please join the discussion.

4 comments:

  1. My mom passed on the Blackberry Farm books (they are British), which we still read to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen: What a nice tradition. I checked Amazon today and see the complete tales of Blackberry Farm starting at $979!

    Take care and thanks for commenting.

    Aloha from Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing such a lovely memory. My parents weren't bookworms so no hand me downs to pass on. My mother did read to me constantly-- even when I was older she read to the whole family-- the 'little house' books, 'Pippi Longstocking' ect. I treasure those memories.

    I still reread all my childhood faves which include Burnett's other works. I must confess that I didn't read 'A Secret Garden' until I was an adult. How I missed it as a kid I can't even imagine! Love it-- I reread it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CozyBookNook...Even though I don't have Mom's book anymore, the memory of it and her reading to me will stay forever in my heart. Thanks for taking time to share your memories. Aloha from Rob

    ReplyDelete

Aloha! Thanks for taking time to talk story. Your comment will be posted soon.

Ho'ola'i na manu i ke aheahe

"The birds poise quietly in the gentle breeze."
Said of those who are at peace with the world, undisturbed and contented.