Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sunday Salon: Detectives, Challenges and some Classics


My reviews this week include Born Standing Up by Steve Martin (our March pick for my library book discussion group).

Jen's Book Thoughts is hosting Detectives Around The World Week starting today. I'll be participating on April 16 with my review of Mahu Vice by Neil Plakcy. It's going to be a good week for mystery fans so check out all the reviews and special events planned by Jen.

Whenever I'm on the way to the beach, I always stop at Hanapepe Library where there's a free outdoor bookshelf. I love a good book find. This week I picked up a first edition of Cheaper By The Dozen printed in 1948. With the old books I'm discovering, I plan to join the Dogeared Reading Challenge for "worn out, and beat up books." It's hosted by DogEar Diary.

Normally I only read one book at a time but currently have two going. 

The first is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (did you know she was only in her 20's when the book was written?). If it goes well over the next few days, I plan to join a read along for the novel hosted by Jill at Fizzy Thoughts.

The other book I'm reading is Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. I love the writing but the pace has been slow. Maybe it's me?

Finally, don't forget that my contest ends Sunday night, April 11, for a new copy of The Girl Who Chased The Moon.

Wishing all of you Aloha from across the Pacific.

9 comments:

  1. A "Free outdoor bookshelf" on the beaches of Hawaii sounds absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it works out and you can join us for Wuthering Heights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A free outdoor bookshelf AND access to the beach? I consider that high living!! I've got 2 old, old copies by Clarence Day: Life With Father, and Life With Mother and an old copy of Cheaper By the Dozen as well. Wuthering Heights is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, you're such a busy bee these days. I hope you like Wuthering Heights. I've read it many times and find something new each new read. It is definitely on the top books of life.

    aloha to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can join in for Wuthering Heights Wednesdays, too! I normally read one book at a time, but this seems to be working out so far. Major Pettigrew is on my wish list. Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Wuthering Heights this year and had mixed feelings. I can't wait to read your review

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love Wuthering Heights! I read it years ago. I hope you enjoy the beauty and atmosphere of the classic!
    And wow! A free outdoor bookshelf that has "dogeared" editions?!? much-loved and traveled editions with their own stories to tell??? how wonderful!!! and on the beach nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thank you for the heads up on Detectives Around the World Week. I'm going to be busy checking out those posts as I love mysteries set in foreign locations. Always looking for more sleuths to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining my challege! I'd love to have access to a free outdoor bookshelf- especially near the beach! Are you going to return the books there after you read them, or keep a few?

    ReplyDelete

Aloha! Thanks for taking time to talk story. Your comment will be posted soon.

Ho'ola'i na manu i ke aheahe

"The birds poise quietly in the gentle breeze."
Said of those who are at peace with the world, undisturbed and contented.