Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Thinking Holidays

Do you have a favorite holiday cozy to get you in the spirit of the season? I have several which I'll be writing about in the weeks ahead.

Last week I started Christmas Is Murder by C.S. Challinor. I'm halfway through and not liking it so far. Maybe if I hang on longer it will improve. The novel doesn't have a holiday feel and none of the characters are people I would want to be snowbound with. Always a bad sign.

Can murder and Christmas ever be a good fit? Of course. One excellent example is Nutty As a Fruitcake by Mary Daheim. She skillfully wove the holiday spirit into the story line with an ax murderer on the loose.

Several years ago I read Christmas Cookie Murder by Leslie Meier. I loved the cookie exchange in the book. This year I've decided to host my own. Have any of you hosted a cookie exchange before or attended one? If so I'd love to hear your ideas.

This morning during my cup of hand roasted coffee (yum), I signed up for Book Bloggers Holiday Card Exchange. It's hosted by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog. Take a look.

I'm also thinking about Book Blogger Holiday Swap. Right now I can't participate because I need 8 posts in the past two months. With a week left I think I can qualify. If you've followed my blog you know I fell off the blogger wagon over the summer. Some health, job and family issues took center stage.

I'm back.

4 comments:

  1. it's not a cozy but i love reading david sedaris's santaland diaries to get in the christmas spirit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year Cleo Coyle's Holiday Grind was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any specific book that I read to put me in the mood, but I do love holiday books. It's the one time of the year I don't mind cheesy in my books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie--I'm a Sedaris fan too. Last year I read SantaLand Diaries in his "Holidays on Ice" book. Having worked at Macys it was a good laugh for me.

    Diane--I just ordered Holiday Grind in paperback. Glad to hear you liked it.

    Kathy--"Cheesy" is acceptable at the holidays, I agree. Some are very predictable but still a fun read.

    Aloha from Rob

    ReplyDelete

Aloha! Thanks for taking time to talk story. Your comment will be posted soon.

Ho'ola'i na manu i ke aheahe

"The birds poise quietly in the gentle breeze."
Said of those who are at peace with the world, undisturbed and contented.