Thursday, December 2, 2010

Virtual Advent Tour: Happy Christmanukkah

Welcome to Day Two of the Virtual Advent Tour. For the fifth year in a row, the Virtual Advent Tour is making its way around the book blogging community. Every day from December 1-24, a group of us share holiday posts. Today it's my turn along with Amy Reads, Jenn's Bookshelves and Staying Awake.

Aloha! My holidays celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas. Right now we're planning a Latke party on Sunday for the 5th night of Hanukkah. On Christmas Day I'll be making my Norwegian Christmas Rice Pudding called Riskrem. All holidays here on Kauai include an ocean swim and no snow or ice.

Favorite Book Tradition: For the past three years I've started each season reading, A Little Fruitcake, by David Valdes Greenwood. I'm giving away a free copy on December 5 (international entries accepted). The book reminds me of my own childhood growing up in the 1960's.

2010 Recycled Ornament: Last year I shared an ornament with you I made from a container of SPAM. This year I have a Royal Mounted Police ornament. It was actually the top of a large souvenir pencil I purchased in Canada. I cut off the lower section, painted the bottom black and inserted a small nail on top so I could wrap around a wire hanger.

New Tradition: I started playing flute this year after a 35 year break. It began as a way to honor my late mother who always wanted me to play in an orchestra. Thanks to music lessons and lots of practice, I'm performing tonight with the Kauai Wind Symphony. That's right...TONIGHT! I'm nervous and will be practicing all day.

Cookie Tip: Form your cookie dough but instead of baking, freeze instead between layers of waxed paper. That way you can bake as needed and always have cookies on hand for guests.

Here's wishing each of you Happy Holidays and Mele Kalikiamka from the Garden Island of Kauai.

26 comments:

  1. December 5! That's our official gift-giving day of Sinterklaas, which is much bigger than Christmas in Holland (as far as presents are concerned). Actually, Santa Claus was based on Sinterklaas (or Saint Nicholas)!

    Thanks for bringing us into the X-mas spirit with this nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm typing this I'm in my house freeezing and dreaming of taking a long vacation to Hawaii. Thank you for bringing a little island warmth to my Thursday morning. Good luck tonight. What a great way to celebrate your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I love how this post seems to be a real cultural mix. I like the idea of an ocean swim on Christmas Day too.

    Hope your concert goes well tonight. What a lovely way to feel close with your Mum's memory. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on going back to the flute! And good luck with your concert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So there are festivities all through December for you! Have a great month. I was hoping for the recipe of the Rice pudding.... Will it be forthcoming? :-)

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. December sounds like a wonderful month for you with such a variety of traditions. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your performance tonight! Thanks for joining in with the tour again! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking of going back to piano (after decades will have to learn all over again). I think its wonderful for you to do this. All the very very best. Break a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No snow for us either! You are very brave picking up an instrument afte all that time and performing in public. Good luck!

    Thanks for participating in the tour again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, nice to meet you! I'm checking out the Virtual Advent tour. What a fun mix of holday traditions you have! In Nova Scotia where I live, a dip in the ocean on Christmas day would take more nerve than I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the way you have blended all the holidays together and spread them out for the whole month. Sure makes for a fun month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Mountie ornament.

    I remember one year we didn't have much money and we decorated the tree with red ribbon tied in bows and then a garden glove on the top of the tree with the fingers tied into a peace sign.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My new tradition is to get to all the advent blogs and to leave a comment.
    so far so good

    thanks for sharing yours

    Jane of Australia where it's meant to be hot but isnt

    ignore the log in I am from
    Life @ Number 8
    janezworld.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent cookie tip. I've been doing this for years and the cookies taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Hanukkah and Holiday Season Rob!
    Hope the flute playing and concert went well, too.
    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice to meet you at this special time of year - your Christmas swim sounds like a wonderful idea (I'm sitting here looking out at snow in sunshine). Starting a new tradition for Christmas is a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your post and your items. The ornament is super cute, and wow - congrats and best of luck tonight in the symphony!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is an excellent cookie tip. I'll be doing that this year for sure. And I second the above commenter's request for the recipe for the Norwegian rice pudding--I'd love to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope all went well with the Wind Symphony. Thanks for sharing with the Virtual Advent

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have a non-snow and warm Christmas as well :)

    Hope all went well with your first performance - good on you for getting back to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for all the nice comments. I think this is the most I've ever had!

    The performance went better than expected. One small mishap but otherwise okay.

    I plan to post the Norwegian Christmas Rice pudding recipe this weekend for those of you interested.

    Tonight we had another tradition: Kauai's Lights on Rice holiday parade. Our 99 year old Auntie was on one of the floats. She had a blast.

    Happy Holidays and A-L-O-H-A,

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad to hear the performance went well. I played the flute all through junior high, high school, and part of college. I miss the camaraderie of the band.

    I love the idea of freezing preformed cookie dough. I may just give that one a try this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Rob--Dave VG here (the not-little-now fruitcake whose book you began your post with). Thanks so much for sharing the book with others. I love the idea that my book full of snowdrifts get an annual read on your sunny island. Hope your holidays are merry!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the tip about the cookie dough. Very clever. Helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We share the same fate. No snow here in my place, too.(I live in Philippines.) But I think everyone here are still able to enjoy Christmas without the snow just like in your place. Happy Holidays, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm going to have to look for a Riskrem recipe! Happy holidays and thanks for taking part in the Advent calendar. I'm way behind but trying to catch up a bit each day.

    We celebrate both Chanukkah and Christmas at our house, too.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha! Thanks for taking time to talk story. Your comment will be posted soon.

Ho'ola'i na manu i ke aheahe

"The birds poise quietly in the gentle breeze."
Said of those who are at peace with the world, undisturbed and contented.