Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Salon: Jelly Donuts, Tsunami and Books

 

It's been an interesting weekend with our tsunami watch on Kauai. We made jelly donuts to wait out the wave on Saturday. I know, no respect for the media who wanted us watching TV and boosting their ad revenues.

The county woke us up at 5am with a warning phone call and then hourly sirens throughout the day. We were concerned at first until we read a report from French Polynesia at 8 am; the wave was only 6 feet in the Marquesas Islands and a foot in Tahiti. 

That removed most of the concern for us but the media didn't pay attention and kept reporting: DANGER. Before the roads closed there was panic on the island with people flooding the grocery stores and gas stations. We stayed home and made donuts.

Here's a recap of my book news for the week:

Alice in Wonderland. When the roads re-opened at 1pm we headed to the beach. On the way I stopped at Hanapepe Library to see what was on their free outdoor bookshelf. I found a copy of Alice in Wonderland over 50 years old. This version was published the year I was born. I decided to give its well worn binding and pages a home in my library. I'm also going to read it.

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. I finished just in time for my monthly book discussion group at Hanapepe Library. The book was given a thumbs up by most members including me. Look for a review this week.

The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron. I scored an ARC from Barnes and Noble's first-look program. We begin the on-line discussion on Monday. I'm on page 40 and need to take a few hours today and get further along.

Wishing all of you a week of Aloha and good books.


 

10 comments:

  1. I am glad that the Tsunami was a false alarm and all is ok on the island.

    I don't know about anyone else, but I would love for you to post that jelly donut recipe sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everything is alright with you. My partner's family is from Chile, the area where the earthquake is, and we can't contact them. I hope they are alright.

    I think that people are lucky that they can wait for whatever is going to happen without too much concer.

    Here in Sydney the beaches are more empty than normal, but I don't think that we are expecting anything other than bad rips and currents. It has made me realise how lucky we are here.

    I read Alice in Wonderland and reviwed it a couple of weeks ago, I hope you enjoy it.

    The White Tiger is also on my wish list - one day i will get around to reading it! I am looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm jelly donuts. I have never made donuts but someday...

    I kept a tsunami watch out of concern for my friend in New Zealand, but as you said, the waves were not all that high thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I wondered about you as my husband and I watched the news yesterday. Glad you were safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the tsunami didn't materialize. Saw your tweets yesterday, and we were watching the news...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad there were no tsunami waves out your way. I just went to my local beach where the waves look 8 to 10 feet. Don't know if that's earthquake-induced or storm-induced. Either way it's fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are safe and were not hit by the Tsunami.

    Also, love the picture from the inside of Alice in Wonderland. I feel like there's Alice mania as the movie comes out, but I can't fault the movie for getting people excited about reading the books. I think that's so awesome.

    I look forward to your review of the White Tiger. I have a copy and love to read reviews of books I own but have yet to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very glad everything is OK, and the donuts sound like an excellent idea.

    Also glad to hear that you're giving that wonderful copy of Alice in Wonderland a home! It sounds like a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly and Heather: the donuts are really good. I think I'll share the recipe soon on a Weekend Cooking post.

    Becky: Sending good thoughts to you and hope your partner's family is okay. The beaches were empty here too. I'll take a look at your "Alice" review.

    Helen: We have some different wave action here too and wind (gusts to 38).

    April: Even though my copy of "Alice" is falling apart, I love the pictures. I just saw the preview for the movie and am looking forward to it.

    JoAnn and Diane:Thanks for thinking of me yesterday. I'm glad everything turned out okay.

    Aloha from Rob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andi,

    Your comment came through when I was posting mine. The donuts are a sweet treat. I also like homemade bagels too. My copy of Alice needed a home; like finding a stray cat.

    Aloha from Rob

    ReplyDelete

Aloha! Thanks for taking time to talk story. Your comment will be posted soon.

Ho'ola'i na manu i ke aheahe

"The birds poise quietly in the gentle breeze."
Said of those who are at peace with the world, undisturbed and contented.