Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Salon: Day After Lei Day


Yesterday was Lei Day in Hawaii. It's a huge festival in the islands. We went to the 30th Annual Celebration at the Kauai Museum. I'm attaching a picture of one of the beautiful lei that won a ribbon.They also had a book sale too (wouldn't you know) and I purchased A Kauai Reader: The Exotic Literary Heritage of the Garden Island, edited by Chris Cook. (Hmmm..."Kauai Reader" could have been a good name for my book blog).

Right now I'm sipping my hand roasted coffee and taking a break from making preserves. You could say I'm channeling my inner "Becca" who is the protagonist in Farm Fresh Murder. She makes jam to sell at her farmers' market when not solving a murder. With the red stains on my hands right now, from pitting 20 pounds of Surinam cherries, it looks like I've been up to something bad.

If you haven't read my review of Farm Fresh Murder, this may be a good time. I have a giveaway for an autographed copy ending May 8. There are recipes included for making jams and preserves plus some tips on canning.

My reading this week has been slow with business obligations and care-giving duties taking center stage. I'm behind on the Wuthering Heights read-along and hope to catch up this week.

Recently I finished my first Sherman Alexie book. It's a collection of short stories titled, Toughest Indian In the World. The author grew up on the Spokane Indian Reservation which is near my hometown.

This week I'm starting Tea and Sympathy for the NYC Reading Challenge and Dead End Gene Pool for the TLC tour.

Now back to the kitchen and preserves.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great weekend, Rob! I've not read any Sherman Alexie but always hear such good reviews about his books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherman Alexie's YA novel, whose title I can't remember now, is amazing. I'm sure his stories were great.
    Lei Day? Oh man, I miss Hawai'i :-)

    ReplyDelete

Aloha! Thanks for taking time to talk story. Your comment will be posted soon.

Ho'ola'i na manu i ke aheahe

"The birds poise quietly in the gentle breeze."
Said of those who are at peace with the world, undisturbed and contented.